Hug O' War

I will not play at tug o' war.
I'd rather play at hug o' war.
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.
Shel Silverstein

Thursday, September 8, 2011

SAMMY THE SNAIL
By
LeAnn Garrison
Inspired by
John Hancock
“And inches to go before I sleep, and inches to go before I sleep. For miles I have gone that cause me to weep and sorrow I feel is all I have reaped.”
“Well, that is a very sad song you sing my friend for someone who has traveled far and wide. Accomplished much and saved many lives.”
“Saved many lives? I’ve saved no life, who speaks? I can not see your face, come closer.”
“What does it matter who I am Sammy, I am your friend and I know of your acts. You speak ill of yourself why do you do this?” The voice asked crisply.
Sammy the Snail scrunched his very snaily eyes, for snails have poor eye site you see.
“I know you are there because I can hear you but I can not see you. Are you a ghost, a specter, or a ghoul? Come to steal my pitiful snaily soul?” Sammy asked suspiciously.
The voice laughed with melody and Sammy became offended.
            “Why are you laughing at me?”
            “Oh, Sammy. I’m not laughing at you, I love you.”
            “You love me?” Now Sammy was really suspicious, no one loved him.
            “Yes.”
            “Why?”
“Because I know you and I have seen what you have done and what you have done is wonderful.”
Sammy could almost hear the smile that came across the hidden lips as the voice said “wonderful”. He thought back on his journey long and hard. What was so wonderful about it? He was so tired all he wanted was to sleep.
“I don’t mean to be rude but I really want to reach my resting nest and just go to sleep. I don’t want to think about my journey any more.”
And with that Sammy inched forward and nestled himself down into his mossy nest. “Ahhh…” Sammy sighed to himself. He could feel the sadness sleep away as sleep took over is little body.
            “Sammy wake up!”
            “What?!” What is it?” Sammy bolted up almost jumping entirely out of his shell.
            “Sleep is not the answer!”
            “Well, it is for me!” Sammy was becoming a crabby snail now.
            “Do you know what a ripple effect is Sammy?”
“No! Go away!” Sammy hunkered down inside his shell in hopes that the mystery voice would go away.
            “What happens when you drop a rock in a pond?”
“I don’t care!” the grouchy snail sneered, plugged up his ears, and started humming to himself.
“Waves move out from the center and the waves get bigger as they move out from the center. Animals can cause ripple effects Sammy. Animals just like you.”
Sammy stopped humming and slowly popped his eyes out of his shell one at a time.
            “What are you saying exactly?”
“Sammy, on your journey you experienced things that were difficult and tiring but you haven’t stopped to look back and see the effects of your rippling!”
“My rippling?”
Sammy curiously pulled himself from his shell and sloshed his slimy body around. To his amazement he discovered a most grandiose site. Animals and creatures he had met along his journey, plus many more, all gathered behind him with glowing smiles spread across their faces. In unison they rushed forward and showered the surprised snail, who had helped “save their life”, even in the smallest of ways, with an over abundance of thanks and love. Sammy was overcome, he had no idea what a rippling effect was and how his small influences had actually made a difference. It instantly made up for how hard the journey had been for him. Sammy smiled a contented little smile and whispered,
“Voice you are my truest friend wont you now show yourself to me?”
A small breeze danced around Sammy’s face and the voice sang back in his ear, “I already have, I am the wind, the water, fire, and the rain. I am the earth beneath and the heaven above, I am creation. And you Sammy the Snail have created a most joyful ripple effect.”

No comments: